These episodes include Bob, Mel, Greg, and Christina, for our rendition of CHOPPED. Which basically means, seeing what 4 off-the-wall ingredients we can give to our friends, so they have to muddle through what we decide is the Chopped basket.
Rules and General Guidelines (for our version):
- 4 Basket Ingredients are to be purchased the DAY OF the “competition”
- Total Amount Spent cannot exceed $30 (we’re poor…it’s not like we can get Lobsters every time…we still have to pay rent…that, and if it sucks, we need money leftover to get Chinese…haha)
- All basket ingredients need to be purchased at a regular “Joe Schmo” Grocery Store (ShopRite, Stop n Shop, etc)
- There is only one round (Entree).
- This rule is pretty much there because we have to eat…
- Duration of the round = 30 minutes.
- All Chopped judging criteria remains the same
- Each contestant is judged based on Presentation, Taste, and Creativity
- All plates (total of 4) need to include all 4 basket ingredients (be it a lot or a little)
- Point values have yet to be determined…but I think each judge will be able to award the contestant up to 10 points (perfect score equaling 30 per round).
Tonight….was Bob’s turn, and Greg was chosen to pick the 4 basket ingredients. Greg chose Shrimp (raw, de-veined, and un-peeled), Potato Gnocchi (fresh), Kiwis (4 – whole), and Jelly Beans (2 bags, store-brand). Total Spent = $28.
Here is our Entree. He made Pesto Gnocchi Mashed Potatoes, with Sauteed Jerk Shrimp, topped with a Caramelized Kiwi Jelly Bean Puree.
Now…the Judging begins….
Appetizer Summary: Chip was a little soggy; Overall taste was great; Plating was beautiful; No Jelly Beans evident in the dish.
Entree Summary: Shrimp were sauteed well; Kiwi puree on top was good with the shrimp, but not on it’s own; Pesto Gnocchi Mashed Potatoes were heavy, and gummy; No Jelly Beans evident in the dish; Entire dish lacked cohesiveness.
Scoring: PRACTICE ROUND – SCORING NOT APPLICABLE
In the end, Bob was a good sport – he took Greg’s “curveball” basket, and made a really fantastic appetizer of Ceviche. We think he would have passed the appetizer round, but would have been “CHOPPED” after the Entree round. All in all, GOOD EFFORT, BOB!!
I look forward to a New Chef and New Basket NEXT THURSDAY on the GCBM’s CHOPPED!!!